These cute strawberry mini pies are quick and easy to make! You can use a basic homemade pie crust or premade pie dough to make it even easier. The filling is simply a jar of strawberry jam or preserves. Use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make these easy hand pies even cuter. They make a perfect Valentine’s Day treat!
I love making mini pies. Little individual or hand pies are a perfect sweet treat that no one can resist. This version is quick and easy. The filling for these strawberry mini pies is simply a jar of strawberry preserves or jam. A filling made from strawberry jam means these pies are easy to make year-round. Even when strawberries aren’t in season! Use a basic pie dough for these mini pies. You can use homemade pie dough or premade refrigerated pie crusts.
I love using a heart-shaped cookie cutter to make these strawberry pies. Heart-shaped treats like these or Valentine Rice Krispies Treats are a sweet way to say “I love you.” You can make them circles, squares, rectangles, or stars. They’re a perfect Valentine’s Day dessert, a special breakfast treat, or an easy dessert for potlucks, BBQs, and parties!
Keep reading for a rundown of everything you’ll need to make these strawberry mini pies. I’ll cover the ingredients and show you step-by-step photos to help you make the pies. Check out the printable recipe card for the exact quantities and instructions.
Ingredients for Strawberry Jam Mini Pies
- Use a basic pie dough for the crust. A simple homemade pie dough or 2 premade 9-inch pie crusts. If you use premade pie crust, buy refrigerated pie crusts and roll the dough out yourself.
- Strawberry jam or preserves are the filling! Sweet and simple. You can use homemade strawberry jam or store-bought. Using a jar of jam or preserves makes this easy and foolproof. You will not end up with a soupy or watery pie crust when you start with fresh jam. Preserves or strawberry jam make these mini pies reminiscent of a pop tart or toaster strudel. But so much butter!
- A simple egg wash made from egg and water will help the crust get crispy and give it a golden color.
- Drizzle with vanilla glaze made from powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla extract. This gives extra sweetness to the pies.
- Use a cookie cutter to make perfect cut-outs for the individual pies. I used a 3.75-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to make the pictured pies. Use a simple shape that is 3 to inches across. A circle, square, rectangle, or star all work well.
How to make Strawberry Mini Pies
Preheat the oven to 400℉ and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Go ahead and prepare your pie dough if using homemade.
Prepare your egg wash by whisking the egg and water in a small bowl. Set it aside.
Roll and cut the pie dough
Roll out the pie dough, then use a 3.5-4-inch cookie cutter to cut out 24 pieces. You’ll need to re-roll the pie dough to get enough pieces.
Use a fork to prick holes in 12 pieces. These will be the tops. Leave the other 12 pieces whole.
Fill, assemble, and bake
Lay the 12 unpierced pieces flat on your work surface. Then, add a tablespoon of strawberry jam to the center of each piece. Place the tops on.
Use a fork to crimp and seal the edges of the pies. Then, use a pastry brush to brush them lightly with the egg wash.
Transfer the pies to the prepared baking sheets. Then, bake until golden.
Make the glaze
Make your vanilla glaze while the pies are baking. Add the powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla to a bowl. Whisk it until it forms a smooth, pourable glaze.
Glaze and cool the strawberry mini pies
Remove the pies from the oven and transfer them to a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet back on the parchment-lined baking sheets.
Drizzle the warm pies with glaze. Then, allow the pies to cool and the glaze to set.
They’re ready to eat once the glaze dries.
How to Store Pies
Store the mini pies at room temperature in a loosely covered container for 2 days.
How to Serve Strawberry Mini Pies
These strawberry mini pies make the perfect Valentine’s Day treat! Make them for dessert, bring them to a Valentine’s Day party, or serve them for breakfast. I like serving them as a special Valentine’s Day breakfast with my pink smoothie. The smoothie contains a cup of fruit and 18 grams of protein to balance out having pie for breakfast! They’re also great for picnics, BBQ’s, potlucks, and after-school snacks.
You can also add a stick before baking and make strawberry pie pops! Follow the instructions in these blueberry pie pops.
More Sweet Strawberry Recipes
More Valentine Ideas
Check out these Valentine’s Day Recipes & Ideas!
Did you love these mini strawberry pies? Use the stars in the recipe card to leave a 5-star rating!Print
Strawberry Mini Pies with Strawberry Jam
Quick and easy heart-shaped strawberry mini pies with a basic pie dough or premade pie crust and a jar of strawberry jam to make hand pies.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 12 mini pies 1x
- Category: Pie
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
For the Pies
- all-purpose flour for dusting
- 2 premade 9-inch pie crusts or homemade pie dough
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400℉ and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Lightly dust your work surface with flour. Roll the 2 prepared pie crusts onto your surface. If you’re using homemade dough, roll it out to about 13 inches in diameter.
- Use a 3.5 inch cookie cutter to cut 24 pieces. Each crust will yield about 8 cut-outs from the first rolling. For the remaining cut-outs, gather the dough scraps into a loose ball and use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. You will use 12 cut-outs for the bottom crusts and 12 for the tops.
- Use a fork to prick the 12 top pieces. This will vent the pie and allow steam to escape.
- Lay the bottoms onto your work surface and add 1 tablespoon of the strawberry jam to the center of each piece.
- Place the tops on. Use a fork to crimp and seal the edges. Lightly brush the tops of each pie with egg wash.
- Use a flat spatula to transfer each pie to the parchment-lined baking sheets. Then, bake at 400℉ for about 20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile, make the vanilla glaze. Add the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla to a bowl. Whisk until a smooth glaze forms. It should be thick but pourable.
- Drizzle the pies with the glaze and leave them on the cooling rack while the glaze dries. It will be fully set in about 2 hours.
- They are ready to serve once the glaze is set. Or store them at room temperature, loosely covered for up to 2 days.
- Use a 3-4 inch cookie cutter. Use a simple shape like a circle, square, heart, or star.
- Make pie pops: Follow the assembly directions from my blueberry pie pop recipe to make pie pops!
Keywords: hand pies